Wednesday 6 March 2013

Roses, turquoises and pinks

So far, so good. I am already about 180 (ish) squares into my next crochet project.  This is to be a large afghan to cover a double bed (400 squares approx.)  The colour scheme is light, dusky and dark rosy pink, turquoise, pale blue, green, off white and light purple.  I am also, although at a snails pace, working on a hand embroidered double quilt in simialr colours.

 
I have tried to work with yarn I've been given, and shape it into a project which works, rather than outright buying a whole bunch of new colours.  Not only does my purse feel the benifit, it encourages me to work with colours I might not necessarily choose.  It will look slightly different once it is laid out in its entirety, as there will be a more even spread of colours throughout.  So although I think I may need to buy a few odd extra balls once I'm further along, I'm not panicking just yet!


These are the other yarns I've not used yet (along with various repeats of all the other colours.)

Now, you may be wondering how I've had such a quick turn around between this afghan and the last...  Well, I can tell you that I'm not that super speedy at the old crochet malarky.  I was already part started on this project.  The two blankets started as one. (one large afghan for my double bed.)  Then I was given more yarn, had a change around of colour schemes in various rooms as they were slightly confused.  I ummed and ahhed a lot, and after much deliberation decided to split it into two projects.  The first, a large sofa throw (which I finished a couple of weeks ago,) and the second, a double bedspread.  This also explains why I am using the same pattern again.  I wouldn't normally (although I do really like the block effect of the colours in this pattern,) I would normally move onto pastures new and mix things up, so as not to get bored.  But I am technically recycling the left over squares, to finally complete the bedspread that I originally set out to make.  I do like to make things complicated for myself!
 
 
Now this is the quilt I am working on.  Some of the squares still have the water soluble pen in the background from where I've drawn the design on before embroidering.  I am waiting to wash it all out on completetion though, as I worry it may come appart where its tacked in place if I fiddle with it too much.
 
 
Hello, its a little birdy!
 
 
All the squares are different, from flowers to birds, words to tea cups, I've tried to keep the pictures as varried as possible.  I can tell you, that is hard with so many squares to fill!
 
 
Some lovely Tilda fabrics, and a small bird house :o)
 
 
Boing!
 
 
Not all of my squares line up perfectly, but as mum says "its the homemade look." And I hope that my pukka embroidery skills make up for that.  I never have been very fond of measuring and straight lines anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment