Thursday 17 October 2013

Hot make for the cold months!

Hello!  I have been absent from my blog for a while now, lots of making going on, but a lack of blogging.  As the time passes, it's been harder and harder to get back into the swing of things! 
 
I thought I would come back with an easy sewing project ready for the cooler weather, that you could also make as a Christmas gift.  *Gasp!* It may be a little premature, but it is already on my mind, and if you are making gifts this year, you need to be planning ahead!
 
Before I show you my make, here's a little catch up...
 
 
During late summer/ early autumn I have: 
  1. Finished my double quilt. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it is such a load off my mind.    That is ALL of the FOUR jumbo unfinished blanket projects I started the year with, done and dusted (I must be mad!) 
  2. Sewn a mish mash patch work curtain for my back door, readying the house for the cold weather.
  3. Preserved what can only be described as THE bumper crop of plums.  Jam, chutney, pies, sauce and bags and bags of frozen plums to see us through the year.
  4. Been doing more jam making with blackberries and lots of lovely chutneys from the crops in our garden.
  5. Sewn a few smaller projects.
  6. Had my car in the garage three times, argh!
  7. Sorted wood, kindling, coal, chimney sweep in prep for fire lighting.
  8. Enjoyed a mini beak to Cromer in Norfolk and a mini break to Sheffield.
  9. Been drowning in free apples.
  10. Painted our bathroom (only two rooms to go whoop!)
  11. Crocheting a blanket for my little girl's bed.
There's probably more, but that's just off the top of my head.  Here's my little sewing project...


 
Winter Warmer How-To
Mini hot water bottle cover
 
This cute little hot water bottle cover was so simple to make! 
And best of all, if you're making it for yourself or as gift,
you can customise it as much as you like!
 
 
You will need:
 
A small hot water bottle
Cereal box for template
A pen to mark card and a fabric pen
Two large pieces of felt in hot pink and light pink
Sewing needle
Scissors
Pins
Sewing thread in hot pink and brown (to match felt and another to match your patch)
Embroidery thread in blue
Sew on/ iron on embroidered patch
 
How to:
 
1.  Draw around your hot water bottle onto the cardboard, leaving a 1.25cm border.  Leave a wider space around the neck of the hot water bottle, as in the photo below. 
 
 
2. Use the cardboard template you made to create two templates for the back of the hot water bottle cover.  (See photo below as a guide to where to place envelope opening.)  Remember to leave approx 1cm overlap for the two back pieces.
 
 
3.  Draw around templates onto both colours of felt and cut out pieces.
 
4.  Pin and sew together light and hot pink pieces using backstitch or running stitch and hot pink thread, leaving 0.25cm seam allowance around the pieces.
 
5. Sew on embroidered patch. I used brown cotton so the stitches were invisible.
 

6.  Draw on words with fabric pen.  I used couching embroidery for the lettering.  (Basically couching is attaching one thicker thread by using lots of little stitches and a smaller thread.)  I used three strands of blue embroidery thread and couched over it with the same hot pink thread I used to backstich the pattern pieces together. 
 
If you're not sure about couching, a simple back stitch or a split stitch would certainly do the job.
 
7.  Blanket stitch the two edges which will form the envelope opening.
 
8.  Pin all the pieces together, making sure that the right sides are facing out and blanket stitch around the whole cover.
 
 
9.  Fold back envelope opening and insert hot water bottle.
 
 
 
 Taah-Daah!
 
The colours really do sing sing.  The pink and blue make your eyes go a little crazy don't you think?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment