Friday 3 May 2013

Crochet Lucky Dip!

I have been working away like a maniac, the last few days to share this with you:
 
 
That's right, after many weeks of crochet... well, some weeks more than others...  Some weeks a whole lot more and some weeks, really not a lot!  Anyway, i have FINALLY completed my last square.  That is 378 squares in total!  <Insert fan fair here>
 
 
I have coveted this blanket design for so long.  Since issue three of Mollie Makes magazine in fact, where I first drooled at this bedspread, in designer-maker Lisa Stickley's Clapham flat (www.lisastickleylondon.com)  And Mollie Makes I do believe is almost two, so that is quite some time!
 
 
 
So when I happened upon a similar looking design in an old magazine from the 70's, I was delighted and set to work...
 
 
While I was crocheting away, I added a handful of mixed coloured squares simply because I was getting bored:
 

Being careful to make sure than none looked like a nipple...  After reading of the horror story of one crocheter whom I follow on Facebook, who spent an afternoon crocheting two lovely circular cushions for her sofa, to be ridiculed by her teenage children because they looked like boobies.  Never crochet anything circular or sausage shaped in pink or flesh colour!
 
 
I spent any free time over the last couple of days sewing in all the ends of about the last 150 squares.  All I can say is, I'm so glad I didn't leave the sewing in of all the squares til the end or I may have actually gone mad!
 
 
Oh crochet how I love you so, and how I hate you also in the same breath....
Look at me, I'm a crochet machine....
Don't look at me, I want to shut you away in a cupboard and not continue....
You make me want to do a happy dance...
Oh crochet how you drive me to insanity at times...
Yet when you are complete, you will look so shweet upon my bed....
Oh crochet I will not let you get the better of me!
 
(See what this project has done to me!)

So now I have come to that part of granny square blanket making, where the whole thing needs to be joined together.  This is the main reason I have moved the square making up a gear.  The weather is starting to get warmer now, and I'm really not sure it is possible to sit with a woollen blanket on your lap piecing the whole thing together, whilst sweating like a pig, no matter how much you want to complete it!
 
 
In an effort to keep my sanity I am breaking trend with all my OCD ways and will not be laying out and planning out my design before I start the assemblage.  I have stuck all the squares in a huge laundry bag and will be using the lucky dip method.  Oh my word, this is not like me at all!  I wanted to try a different way of working, because over thinking it can often be quite hard work and ends up a bit of a headache.  It is really quite liberating to be working in this way!  And of course, if I did pull out, say four of the same colour in a row, I could have a sneaky reshuffle and re pick!
 
Are you working on any crochet projects at the moment?  I would love to hear what you are making!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment