Tuesday 16 April 2013

Carbooty finds!

Firstly I would like to apologise for being absent without leave for the last few of weeks.  Its been a combination of feeling really run down with a mouth full of ulcers for two weeks solid, a bad back and trying really hard to get some of our house painted (that needs doing from top to bottom,) that has left me with little energy or enthusiasm for blogging of recent.  I have still been around, and have still been silently making away.  So now I am feeling much better (excluding the sore back,) lets get this blog ticking over and have a little catch up!
 
At the weekend I had my sister @LovelyThings2 come to visit from Sheffield and we spent much of the weekend rooting around at three carboot sales.  We almost got blown away at the last one as it was so gusty, and came home with what looked like a lovely light spring tan... on closer inspection it was a peppering of dusty carboot earth, lovely! 

I have a terrible habit of putting the brakes on any spending, as its hard just making ends meet these days.  Buying anything that is not for my family to eat goes against all of my instincts, but seeing as it was all second hand and all dirt cheap, I feel slightly less guilty.  Here are some of my thrifty finds:
 
 
The two large pieces of material (top left) are a thin sheet (blue and white) and curtain made from thicker material.  They were only 10p each!  I'm sure they will come in handy for a project somewhere down the line, even if its just to make a tent in the summer time for my daughter.  Where can you buy anything for 10p these days?!  The piece of fabric at the bottom left is an embroidered table cloth in excellent condition for £1.  The book, "Stumpwork," by Kay Dennis was also only £1 and is full of lots of photos and techniques for wonderful raised embroidery designs.  Ideas and techniques that go far beyond anything I could have possibly dreamed up!  I have the machine embroidery book from this series and was so happy to find it at a bargain price.  I can't wait to try out some new techniques!
 
Top right is a lemon juicer for 20p.  I have been looking out for one of these for ages.  Its one of those items that will get used rarely, but do you know how hard it is to get juice out of a citrus fruit without one of these little bad boys?!  Also a tiny lidded metal saucepan 20p, for my little girl, "mummy making porridge," too cute!
 
 
Random Coleman's Mustard powder shaker for 50p. Apparently it is "Fit for a King" and "Used in the Royal kitchens."
 
 
Teapot shaped tea infuser, like new for 50p.  So dinky, just had to have it!  Two miniature houses and what looks like a chapel all for 60p.  Looking quaint on my mantle piece right now :o) Two pieces of crochet lace for 30p.
 
A greeny teal knitted cardigan for the grand sum of £1.  Looks like its never seen any wear.  Its acrylic, which is ideal for me as my skin is sensitive and anything with even a whiff of wool in sends me into an insane itch!  I can't find any labels inside and from the general shape and how the buttons are attached I would say its been lovingly handmade by someone.  I feel funny whenever I see handmade things going second hand.  Someones put so many hours of love into making this cardigan.  I see this as a rescued item and I'm sure I will wear it to death.  I only wish that the other dark turquoise cardigan with it had been a little smaller as I would have snapped that up too!
 
 
Here is a little close up.  Its a greeny flecked with turquoise kind of wool.  Not sure what stitch it is as I can't knit.  I will learn one day, I WILL!  May have to switch the buttons for something a little more jazzy tho, as brown is totally not my favourite colour.
 
 
Last but not least this little lot was in a basket along with some other junk for £2.  The stall holder was practically throwing this at me at the gusty dusty carboot, as everyone was seeking shelter and packing up for home.  I can't believe this was still sat there at the end of the carboot.  I'm in Norfolk UK, if I lived in a more creative area this would have totally been snapped up by some eagle eyes!  It also came with a large doily on top, which I unfortunately can't show you (along with a bunch of other doilies I picked up on another stall,) cos they're in the sink having a little hand wash. 
 
 
I'm glad I didn't go in all guns blazing, as the basket was also full of lots of metal pins and also a bare naked razor blade.  Eek!  I think the owner of the sewing kit was using it to cut cottons instead of scissors... that is real make do and mend there!

 
Really chuffed with all my little finds, hope you had a lovely weekend too :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment